Misconception Monday: We Need Abortion for Cases of Rape

  • Ryan Phillips
  • 11/23/2020

Misconception: We need abortion because of cases of rape and incest.

Rape is frequently cited as a necessary reason to allow for abortions as if pregnancy by rape or consequent abortions were a common occurrence. However, in reality rape, actually accounts for less than 1% of all abortions. It does not make sense to use this rare exception as a reason to justify the other 99% of abortions that are not due to rape.

But what about the rare unwanted pregnancy due to rape? It may seem compassionate to allow an exception for an abortion in this rare instance. Carrying and delivering a child in this circumstance could be incredibly difficult indeed. But there is nothing compassionate about using abortion as a solution. It is certainly true that it is not the mother’s fault she was raped, but it is also not the child’s fault. While it may seem unfair to force the mother to carry the child to term, the barbaric abortion procedures used to kill the innocent child are infinitely more cruel. 

In addition to the violent end of the child’s life, an abortion will often only cause more pain for a woman who has already been so brutally victimized. An abortion will end the pregnancy, but it will not take away the rape.

Pro-life advocates are sometimes wrongly accused of not condemning rape if they don’t support abortion in these cases, but these positions are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to be simultaneously against rape and against abortion. In fact, the exact opposite of this argument holds true in many cases. Allowing abortion in cases of rape can enable ongoing abuse or human sex trafficking. Abortion giants such as Planned Parenthood have been discovered performing abortions on very young girls in extremely questionable circumstances without doing any due diligence or contacting authorities, as required by law. In some cases, they even give advice to aid traffickers.

Finally, there are many wonderful stories of children who were conceived in rape, but their courageous mothers chose life for them anyway. In these cases, both the mother and the child go on to live valuable, meaningful, and happy lives.

Rape and incest are horrible crimes that should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but this does not mean the baby deserves to die. A mother can help her own healing process by giving the baby the gift of life and, if she does not want to be a mother, making an adoption plan.

There are many reasons that a woman might consider an abortion. If you are in an unplanned pregnancy and feel you don’t have another choice, you have options. Check out our free resources below. Or, if you are in a position to help, please consider making a donation.

Resources | Donate

Or use your account on Blog

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Forgot your password?

Or register your new account on Blog

Error message here!

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

Back to log-in