UPDATE 3/26/19: HB136 has been signed by Governor Herbert. It's official! Thank you again to everyone who helped get this bill passed & signed into law!
UPDATE 3/13/19: HB136 PASSED!!! This is an amazing victory! Thank you to everyone who helped along the way! Here are the final votes! 23-6! https://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/svotes.jsp?sessionid=2019GS&voteid=1664&house=S
You can listen to the debate in the Senate here: https://le.utah.gov/av/floorArchive.jsp?markerID=108314
UPDATE 2/26/19: HB136 PASSED the House Floor with a vote of 57-15!!
Thank you to the legislators who voted in favor of the bill! https://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/svotes.jsp?sessionid=2019GS&voteid=502&house=H
To listen to the Floor debate/vote, follow this link: https://le.utah.gov/av/floorArchive.jsp?markerID=106661
We want to give a special thanks to the representatives who signed on as co-sponsors of the bill! Their efforts and support to get this bill passed are very much appreciated! The list of co-sponsors continues to grow, thank you!!
|Albrecht, C.||Andersen, K.|
|Ballard, M.G.||Barlow, S.|
|Brammer, B.||Brooks, W.|
|Christofferson, K.||Coleman, K.|
|Daw, B.||Eliason, S.|
|Hawkes, T.||Hawkins, J.|
|Ivory, K.||Johnson, D.N.|
|Judkins, M.||Lisonbee, K.|
|Lyman, P.||Maloy, A.C.|
|Nelson, M.||Pulsipher, S.|
|Robertson, A.||Sagers, D.|
|Seegmiller, T.||Shipp, R.P.|
|Stratton, K.||Strong M.A.|
Bill Sponsor: Rep. Cheryl Acton
HB136 Abortion Amendments (a bill we are calling the "Cherish Life Act") has been amended from 15 weeks to 18 weeks to give the law better chances of surviving a legal challenge. The intent is still to protect unborn babies and women, and will bring back Utah values. This bill will ban elective abortions past 18 weeks gestation. All current exceptions allowed under Utah law (in cases of rape, incest, life of the mother, etc) will stay in place. An exception for severe brain abnormality that causes an individual to live in a mentally vegetative state, has been added. The reason for the 18 weeks is based on the development of the child and the ability to feel pain. Learn more about the science of fetal pain at: https://lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-science-of-fetal-pain/.
According to the most recent Marist Poll, the overwhelming majority of people, even those who identify as "pro-choice" in theory, support major restrictions on abortion. The poll also found only minority support for late-term abortion.
Link to the bill: https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/static/HB0136.html
Cherishing Unborn Children
The State of Utah has an obligation to protect ALL human life. This common sense legislation would protect the life of a baby who:
- can move around in her/his mother's womb and even kick
- can sense movement outside her/his mother's womb
- has taste buds and can taste what her/his mother eats
- has eyes and eyelids that are beginning to open
- has a heartbeat
- can open and close her/his fingers and even hiccup
Permitting later-term abortions that impose substantial pain on an unborn child is incompatible with the concept of human dignity and has no place in civilized society.
Women deserve real healthcare. This law would ensure that women are not put at greater risk of death, illness, or psychological trauma resulting from later-term abortions.
- As the second trimester progresses, the maternal health risks of undergoing an abortion procedure are greater than the risks of carrying the pregnancy to term.
- The increased chance of maternal mortality increases by 38% with every week after 8 weeks gestation.
- According to the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute, the risk of a mother dying as the result of an abortion rises more than 2,200% between 8 weeks and 18 weeks of her pregnancy.
- In abortions performed after 15 weeks, there is a higher risk of requiring a hysterectomy, other reparative surgery, or a blood transfusion.
- The State of Utah has a legitimate interest in protecting the health of the woman considering abortion.
- Those who oppose this commonsense law are putting women's health and well-being at risk in favor of the abortion lobby's bottom line.
Protecting Medical Professionals
Most elective abortions committed after a mother has been pregnant for 15 weeks require the unborn child to be crushed and torn apart.
Choosing to participate in this barbaric act is dangerous for women and conflicts with a physician's oath to protect life.
Realigning Our Policies
The U.S. is 1 of 4 nations that permits abortion-on-demand throughout all 9 months of pregnancy. The other three nations include:
- North Korea
92% of countries worldwide limit abortion after 12 weeks gestation.