HB364 Abortion Revisions (Ultrasound) failed.
The bill was up for its final vote of concurrence in the House when it was circled (put on hold) & was not heard before time ran out at midnight. This bill had the most potential to save lives & we are heartbroken it did not make it through this session.
House (this vote was on the motion to circle; a yes vote put the bill on hold; a no vote was to allow the bill to be heard & voted on) https://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/svotes.jsp?sessionid=2020GS&voteid=1255&house=H
HB364 Abortion Revisions
Bill sponsor: Representative Steve Christiansen
Link to the bill: https://le.utah.gov/~2020/bills/static/HB0364.html
Clearing up misconceptions in the news and on the Senate Floor:
Listen to our President, Mary Taylor, on Rod Arquette's show:https://www.facebook.com/ProLifeUtah/videos/516976045687587/
Watch our Vice President, Deanna Holland, explain clarifications on the bill:https://www.facebook.com/ProLifeUtah/videos/1642998195849916/
The debate this week between the senators gave way to some misconceptions that we'd like to clarify: Objections were made that the bill was too invasive in requiring a transvaginal ultrasound. The truth is that the bill NEVER required a transvaginal ultrasound. It was made abundantly clear in both committee meetings that an abdominal ultrasound would fulfill the bill requirements. Six female senators walked off the floor in protest before the vote, although the bill clearly did not mandate an invasive procedure.
Pro-Life Utah worked very closely with the sponsor of this bill to attend to every detail of this bill. It has always been an excellent piece of legislation that fills in the gaps where women are uninformed by Utah abortion providers. It is regrettable that there is false information circulating about HB 364, but we expect nothing less from an abortion lobby that is becoming increasingly desperate.
“An ultrasound is the final piece of true informed consent that ought to be required before an abortion. Women deserve to fully understand the choice they are making before a permanent, life-ending decision. We are not surprised to see Planned Parenthood and their allies speak against this bill, as they have a clear financial interest in abortion. The only reason to oppose this bill is the desire to keep women uninformed about what an abortion does.” – Deanna Holland, Vice President Pro-Life Utah
Listen to this interview with Rep. Christiansen on the Rod Arquette show 2/24/20: https://www.facebook.com/ProLifeUtah/videos/1042042489503018/
Rep Christiansen has explained that this bill is driven on the premise that better information leads to better decisions. Information is empowering. When a woman is considering an abortion, she needs to receive better information.
- This bill requires an ultrasound to be performed as part of the informed consent given 72 hours prior to an abortion. During the ultrasound procedure, the physician or ultrasound technician will be required to describe the images and make audible the unborn child’s heartbeat.
- This bill is patterned after a Kentucky bill which has been upheld by the 6th Circuit Court. The Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal, therefore upholding the 6th Circuit decision.
- In defending the law, Kentucky argued that the regulation was part of the medical “informed-consent” process and that the law "does nothing more than require that women who are considering an abortion be provided with information that is truthful, non-misleading and relevant to their decision of whether to have an abortion."
- The appeals court agreed, writing in its ruling that there was “nothing suspect” about the state requiring a doctor to provide “truthful” information, “even if those disclosures relate to unborn life and have the effect of persuading the patient not to have an abortion."
Why abortion is the Uninformed Non-Choice:
A recent study found that 84% of women were not sufficiently informed before their abortion. 79% were not told, or were deceived, about available resources. 54% were unsure of their decision, yet 67% received no counseling beforehand.
There are physical and emotional risks to choosing an abortion:
- 65% suffer multiple symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 31% had health complications afterwards.
- 65% higher risk of clinical depression.
- 10% have immediate complications, some are life-threatening.
- 3.5x higher risk of death from all causes.
- Suicide rates are 6 times higher if women abort vs. giving birth
Women should be fully informed before deciding to take a step that has long lasting consequences.