HB136 will likely be heard in the House Judiciary Committee this week! Contact committee members and urge them to vote YES!
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
A huge THANK YOU to Rep. Cheryl Acton for running this bill! firstname.lastname@example.org
TIPS ON HOW TO COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY WITH LEGISLATORS
- When e-mailing, put the bill number in the subject line (example: Please SUPPORT H.B.136)
- Make sure to tell your legislator that you are a CONSTITUENT (write it in the subject line of every e-mail). To find your legislator, use this map (click State House/State Senate): https://elections.utah.gov/map/district-maps
- Keep e-mails brief, to the point. Use your own words.
- Text only very brief messages and keep those communications timely.
- If you plan to testify at committee meetings, prepare a 2-3 minute message and be prepared to shorten it if needed. If you don’t want to testify, please come to the meeting anyways! The more faces they see in the audience in support, the better.
- Most importantly, always, ALWAYS, be respectful.
Bill Sponsor: Rep. Cheryl Acton
HB136 Abortion Amendments (a bill we are calling the "Cherish Life Act") will protect unborn babies and women, and will bring back Utah values. This bill will ban elective abortions past 15 weeks gestation. All current exceptions allowed under Utah law (in cases of rape, incest, life of the mother, etc) will stay in place. The reason for the 15 weeks is based on the development of the child and the ability to feel pain. Learn more about the science of fetal pain at: https://lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-science-of-fetal-pain/.
According to the most recent Marist Poll, the overwhelming majority of people, even those who identify as "pro-choice" in theory, support major restrictions on abortion. The poll also found only minority support for late-term abortion.
Link to the bill: https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/static/HB0136.html
Cherishing Unborn Children
The State of Utah has an obligation to protect ALL human life. This common sense legislation would protect the life of a baby who:
- can move around in her/his mother's womb and even kick
- can sense movement outside her/his mother's womb
- has taste buds and can taste what her/his mother eats
- has eyes and eyelids that are beginning to open
- has a heartbeat
- can open and close her/his fingers and even hiccup
Permitting later-term abortions that impose substantial pain on an unborn child is incompatible with the concept of human dignity and has no place in civilized society.
Women deserve real healthcare. This law would ensure that women are not put at greater risk of death, illness, or psychological trauma resulting from later-term abortions.
- As the second trimester progresses, the maternal health risks of undergoing an abortion procedure are greater than the risks of carrying the pregnancy to term.
- The increased chance of maternal mortality increases by 38% with every week after 8 weeks gestation.
- According to the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute, the risk of a mother dying as the result of an abortion rises more than 2,200% between 8 weeks and 18 weeks of her pregnancy.
- In abortions performed after 15 weeks, there is a higher risk of requiring a hysterectomy, other reparative surgery, or a blood transfusion.
- The State of Utah has a legitimate interest in protecting the health of the woman considering abortion.
- Those who oppose this commonsense law are putting women's health and well-being at risk in favor of the abortion lobby's bottom line.
Protecting Medical Professionals
Most elective abortions committed after a mother has been pregnant for 15 weeks require the unborn child to be crushed and torn apart.
Choosing to participate in this barbaric act is dangerous for women and conflicts with a physician's oath to protect life.
Realigning Our Policies
The U.S. is 1 of 4 nations that permits abortion-on-demand throughout all 9 months of pregnancy. The other three nations include:
- North Korea
92% of countries worldwide limit abortion after 12 weeks gestation.